Tuesday, March 23, 2010

TARNATION

What the F*$*!!! haha. This film was wild. The boy to me seemed beyond troubled. I coulnd't imagine having to grow up in a house hold like that or going through the events thats this young boy did. I feel that the events of his early child hood really created the blue print for the rest of his life. He seemed to know he was gay from a young age, which might have actually helped him growing up because he obviously wasn't hiding anything. He seemed to be infatuated with the video camera, and obviously clocked in many hours behind it. I'm sure that if he knew his father throughout child hood he might have been brought up differently. But he still couldn't have been normal with a mother like that. Throughout the film you start to feel bad for the character, because of the way he is treated by others. In one scene he is taken advantage of by a drug dealer and sent through a "trip" that has definitely scarred him for life. I felt more attached to the film in the earlier scenes because the footage that he had of himself as a child were just so interesting. He documented himself and had an unbelievable amount of footage.
The way the film was put together was pretty incredible. To be able to just throw these shots together on a normal computer is pretty amazing. I really like how the narrations were put together like slides, and were just righting on the screen. you find your self reading them in your own voice and really changes the effect of what is being said. You feel as if you are narrating the story for him.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder how young Jonathon's infatuation with the video camera is different from the obsession with social media that has exploded in the last four or five years?

    I'm also interested in hearing more from you about the use of titles (writing) in this film and how that seems to "put the words in your own mouth" so to speak...write more?

    ReplyDelete